The Brewery, 209 King Street, Castle Douglas DG7 1DT
Phone: (0) 1556 504 525
Sulwath Brewers is a family owned operation established in February 1996 but production had already started in the fall of 1995. Allan Henderson serves as Managing Director while Allan's father, Jim Henderson serves as General Manager and consultant. The company moved from their original location in converted farm buildings at Southerness on the Solway coast. Most of the brewery's product names are influenced by their Galloway surroundings and the name Sulwath itself is an ancient name for the Solway Estuary.
The present brew plant at Sulwath has a seven-and-a-half barrel capacity and outputs, on average, 500 gallons of beer per week. Bottle labeling and packaging are now undertaken at the brewery as well. The brewery has a visitor centre with a capacity for up to fifty people. The brewery uses locally grown products wherever possible and for the most part uses hops grown in Hereford through a family connection with hop growers that have been in the business for some three generations.
Cask versions of Sulwath's products are sold in over fifty outlets and three are available in bottled format in a number of off-licenses.
- Criffel Ale - 4.6% ABV
- An India Pale Ale brewed with Maris Otter and "deeply" roasted malts along with three hop varieties providing a delicate bitterness and complex flavuor. Named after the local Galloway mountain.
- Cuil Hill - 3.6% ABV
- A pale amber coloured, light and refreshing summer or session ale bursting with the taste of fresh malt and hops. Full flavoured with a hint of bitterness.
- Knockendoch - 5.0% ABV
- A dark copper coloured beer with pronounced tastes of malts and hops. An upfront flavour of deeply roasted malt followed by a lingering aftertaste of whole Hereford hops. Named after a prominent hill near Criffel.
- Galloway Gold - 5.0% ABV
- A fresh tasting lager style beer brewed with lager and wheat malts and hopped with Saaz leaving a hint of citrus flavour in the aftertaste.
- The Black Galloway - 4.4% ABV
- A very dark Porter style beer named after the native cattle of the region near the brewery. Brewed with deeply Roasted Barley and Chocolate malts.
- John Paul Jones - 4.0% ABV
- A dark amber coloured beer with a pronounced taste of Maris Otter malt and a hint of Hereford grown Bramling Cross hops. Named after the founder of the American Navy that was born on the farm next to the original Sulwath Brewery site.