Knops Beer Company
Archerfield Brewery, Archerfield Walled Garden, Dirleton, East Lothian EH39 5HQ
Phone: (0) 7949 879 147
Knops Beer Company was launched by owner/brewer Robert Knox in early 2010. Robert studied at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh receiving a degree in Brewing and Distilling and subsequently went to work at Castle Eden Brewery in the north of England as well as other large firms in England. He returned to Scotland taking a job at Stewart Brewing but could not shake the desire to do his own thing. He left Stewart and began developing recipes on his homebrew equipment. Having looked at premises to establish his own commercial brewery, Robert decided instead to work with Traditional Scottish Ales in Stirling to brew his recipes on their brewing plant.
Knops beers are available in cask-conditioned and bottled format. It is a credit to Robert's brewing skill that he would choose a style that is quite rare - even in the US - as one of his earliest products, California Common. He is also clearly keen on the brewing history of Scotland and has some very fine modern interpretations of beers once brewed in there.
- California Common - 4.6% ABV
- As the name implies, a Steam Beer or California Common style beer that is deep golden with light toffee notes in the flavour and a lingering refreshing bitterness in the finish. It is brewed with 2-row Pale Ale malt and a small amount of Crystal malt. It is fermented with a California ale yeast at lower temperature and then conditioned for 21 days at low temperatures to achieve some of those lager-like qualities.
- Musselburgh Broke - 4.5% ABV
- Inspired by a beer mentioned in W.H. Roberts' "Scottish Ale Brewer and Practical Maltster" from 1847 (there were actually earlier versions as well), this chestnut coloured ale is a malty Scottish style beer with the flavour of caramel, toffee, and cocoa. It finishes dry with the dark malt character coming through and is brewed with Pale Ale, Crystal, and Chocolate malts and Roasted Barley.
- IPA - 5.0% ABV
- A light golden coloured India Pale Ale style beer brewed with Maris Otter and hopped with US hops to a level of 40 IBU.
- Black Cork - 6.5% ABV
- An intensely dark beer brewed with Pale Ale, Crystal, Chocolate and Wheat malts as well as Oats. The bitterness is prominent and hops are added in three stages. Black Cork was a beer brewed by the historic Bell's Brewery in Edinburgh in the 18th and 19th centuries and associated with the notorious Deacon Brodie. The recipe for the original Black Cork is lost in time but this modern interpretation is based on research.