Lorne Road, Larbert, Falkirk, FK5 4AT
Phone: (0) 1324 554 000
After taking a redundancy package from his job of many years, Scottish Craft Brewers member John McGarva decided to take his real ale brewing skills from hobbyist to professional. John opened Tryst Brewery in early 2004 in the small village of Larbert, very near to Falkirk. The brewery resides in a warehouse not far from the train station. Brewing takes place using a 10-barrel brewing plant originally from Berkeley Brewery in Gloucestershire.
The name "Brockville", used for two of the brewery's beers, was the name of the field once used by Falkirk Football Club. Carronade IPA is named after the Carronade cannon once manufactured by Carron Iron Works in Falkirk and used on ships of war around the time of Wellington. In addition to Tryst's staple line of beers, John also produces a number of special beers throughout the year including his very highly acclaimed Transatlantic Hop Trial series that showcases different hops from outside the UK.
At any given time, the beers listed below are available on a rotating basis in pubs. Edinburgh pubs are Tryst's biggest market at present for the brewery's cask-conditioned beers and all are available in bottled-conditioned format. Outlets in the Central belt also host Tryst's ales as well as a number of pubs in Glasgow. John attends many beer festivals all over Scotland providing yet another way to try the brewery's multi award-winning beers. In addition, Tryst beers are available for purchase online through an arrangement with The Scottish Real Ale Shop at The Lade Inn.
- Raj IPA - 5.5% ABV
- A traditional India Pale Ale style recipe that is full bodied with an underlying malt flavour and strong lingering aftertaste of hops. Brewed with three UK hop varieties.
- Brockville Pale - 3.8% ABV
- A golden session ale that is very well balanced between a Pale malt background and the fruity flavour of three UK hop varieties.
- Brockville Dark - 3.8% ABV
- A dark, ruby coloured session ale with hints of liquorice and roasted grains.
- Carronade IPA - 4.2% ABV
- A thrist-quenching, lower ABV India Pale Ale style beer with the distinctive flavour of American hops from the Pacific Northwest creating a full flavour of citrus.
- Buckled Wheel - 4.2% ABV
- A very traditional English style ale brewed with several light coloured malts and the traditional blend of English Fuggle and Goldings hops.
- Blàthan - 4.0% ABV
- A pale coloured beer with a strong floral aroma and refreshing taste. Brewed with the addition of Scottish elderflower. Pronounced "bla-han" in Gaelic meaning "little blossom".
- Drovers 80 Shilling - 4.0% ABV
- A traditional full-bodied Scottish 80/- with additional emphasis on a distinctive hoppy flavour and finish.
- Stars & Stripes - 4.0% ABV
- A golden session ale with moderate bitterness brewed using a blend of three American grown hops.
- Zetland Wheatbier - 4.5% ABV
- A traditional German hefeweizen brewed with German malts and hops and a banana/clove estery yeast strain.
- Carron Oat Stout - 6.1% ABV
- A complex and rich flavoured ale with a silky body. Bottle conditioned in small batches and brewed based upon an historic Scottish brewery recipe.