Williams Brothers Brewing Company
New Alloa Brewery, Kelliebank, Alloa, FK10 1NU
Phone: (0) 1259 725 511
Williams Brothers Brewing started life as the Heather Ale Company, started in 1992 by brothers Bruce and Scott Williams, to brew and market their unique ale, Fraoch, brewed with heather. The story of Heather Ale Company begins in 1986 at Glasgow's homebrew shop in the West End owned by Bruce Williams. Bruce was given a recipe for a heather ale that had originated from an islander's family recipe written in Gaelic. After a number of tweaks to the recipe, today's Fraoch was born and first brewed at the now defunct West Highland Brewery in Argyll. Fraoch was then brewed for a time by the historic Maclay's Brewery of Alloa, sadly now closed.
In search of a brewery of their own, the brothers received help from Historic Scotland to restore some two hundred year old buildings at Craigmill, in Strathaven, and the Craigmill Brewery was born. The Craigmill facility was popular with visitors but the demands of production hastened a move to the much larger former Forth Brewery location in Alloa, a brewery with a long historical tradition. The Craigmill Brewery is now home to Strathaven Ales. The firm purchased the Forth Brewery in 2004 and at the same time, changed to the name of Williams Brothers. In addition, Bruce has many years experience in the homebrew trade and has served as consultant to a number of Scotland's newer brewing operations.
Unlike many of Scotland's more recent breweries, the vast majority of products are produced in bottled format although cask versions are to be found in outlets all over the U.K. Bruce sees the U.S. as an important market for bottled products but Fraoch also sells well in Canada, Germany and France. The company has a unique commitment to producing products based on historical recipes using a high content of indigenous ingredients. This "Historical Ales" line is now supplemented by additional original beers brewed under the Williams Brothers label.
- Birds & Bees - 4.3% ABV
- A bright, golden ale that is fruity, aromatic and refreshing. Brewed with Pale malt and US Cascade and Slovenian Bobek hops and a late infusion of fresh elderflowers and lemon zest.
- Cock O' The Walk - 4.3% ABV
- A classic Red Ale brewed with large amounts of Crystal malt and a unique blend of hops from around the world.
- Fraoch Heather Ale - 5.0% ABV
- A light amber coloured ale with a floral peaty aroma, full malt character and the spicy, herbal finish provided by hops and heather.
- Good Times - 5.0% ABV
- A sparkling golden ale brewed using Cascade hops and lemon zest.
- Grozet - 5.0% ABV
- A pale golden beer brewed with gooseberries for a sharp and refreshing flavour.
- Harvest Sun - 3.9% ABV
- A straw gold coloured beer with a pleasant citrus aroma and balanced bitter finish.
- Joker IPA - 5.0% ABV
- A golden fruity India Pale Ale style beer with a complex blend of malts and hops and full flavour.
- Kelpie - 4.4% ABV
- A rich, dark chocolate ale with the aroma of a sea breeze provided by the use of fresh seaweed added to the mash tun.
- Midnight Sun - 5.6% ABV
- A spicy Porter style beer, black in colour, and brewed with Malt, Oats, Roasted Barley, Chocolate malt and generously hopped and finished with a bit of fresh ginger root.
- Profanity Stout - 7.0% ABV
- A full on black coloured Stout style beer a huge roasted malt character, full, floral, and fruity aroma and intense dry hopped finish with the unique flavour of Nelson Sauvin hops.
- Roisin - 4.2% ABV
- A blonde coloured, fruity flavoured beer brewed with fresh Tayberries (a cross between a Raspberry and a Blackberry).
- Seven Giraffes - 5.1% ABV
- An India Pale Ale style beer brewed with a blend of 7 grains, 3 hop varieties, and a late addition of Elderflower and Lemon.
- Williams 80 Shilling - 4.2% ABV
- A rich mahogany coloured ale with a buttery aroma, biscuity texture, and sweet finish.
- Williams Black - 4.4% ABV
- A dark black/brown coloured beer with the aroma of coffee, liquorice, and roasted and chocolate malts.
- Williams Ceilidh 90 - 4.7% ABV
- A crisp, citrusy lager brewed with Belgian Pilsner malt, hops from the Czech Republic and America, and fermented with a German yeast.
- Williams Gold - 3.9% ABV
- A golden beer with a zesty, hoppy aroma and the flavour of light malts and fruity hops.
- Williams Red - 4.3% ABV
- A rich amber coloured beer with the aroma of caramel and amber malts and sweet berries and the flavour of biscuity malt and woody and fruity hops.
- Alba - 7.5% ABV
- A Scots Pine Ale brewed with Pale and Crystal malts, Malted Wheat, and lightly hopped with First Gold so as not to cover up the spice provided by the addition of sprigs or spruce and pine as well as bog myrtle.
- Caesar Augustus - 4.1% ABV
- A golden straw coloured lager/IPA fusion beer brewed with Lager malt and Caramalt and hopped with Nelson Sauvin, Amarillo, Styrian Golding, and Cascade hop varieties for a zesty, citrus hop finish.
- Ebulum - 6.5% ABV
- A dark, rich, fruity beer, black in colour and brewed with Maris Otter, Oats, Roasted Barley, Malted Wheat, and Chocolate malt and hopped with First Gold. The addition of bog myrtal and elderberries produces a unique flavour experience.
- March Of The Penguins - 5.0% ABV
- A creamy, dark, Stout style beer with a rich malty flavour, the aroma of roasted malt, coffee, liquorice, and orange peel, and a lingering orange aftertaste. Brewed with Pale Ale malt, Oats, Roasted Barley, Chocolate malt, Dark Crystal malt, and Malted Wheat, hopped with Nelson Sauvin and Cascade, and finished with orange peel.
- Williams Ginger - 3.8% ABV
- A traditional ginger beer brewed with Lager malt and Malted Wheat with the addition of fresh ginger root, organic cane sugar, lemons and lemon juice.
- Williams Draught Keg - 4.0% ABV
- A keg only beer, blonde in colour with the aroma of light citrus and caramel.