Isle of Arran Brewery
Cladach, Brodick, Isle of Arran, Scotland, KA27 8DE
Phone: (0) 1770 302 353
The Isle of Arran Brewery opened to full production in February of 2000 and was the project of Richard and Elisabeth Roberts. During the six years prior to its opening, Richard did his own research, took brewing courses and worked in a couple of breweries to build experience while he developed the concept for the Arran Brewery.
This purpose-built microbrewery operates using equipment purchased from the defunct Tipsy Toad Town House brewpub in St. Helier, Jersey and has a 20-barrel capacity. The mash tun sits on the upper of the brewery's two floors facilitating run-off of the wort to the copper that is on the ground floor below. A unique piece of equipment in the brewery is what is called a valentine, a manually operated device that utilizes gravity to control the rate of flow of the run-off. The hot liquor tank and the copper are both steam-heated. Arran has its own bottling line that will support up to five barrels in one run. A viewing area allows visitors to get a look at the inside of the brewery and each step of the brewing process is thoroughly detailed in very helpful wallboards throughout the brewery. The on-site tasting room allows for sampling and the well-equipped gift shop an opportunity for fulfilling that shopping urge.
The Isle of Arran Brewery went into administration in May, 2008 and was purchased by Glasgow-based Marketing Management Services International (MMSI). Any fears for the future of the brewery have been well and truly thwarted as MMSI has and continues to invest in the brewery with increased staff levels, the introduction of new beers, and ever needed expansions in capacity.
- Arran Blonde - 5.0% ABV
- A pale golden beer with a well balanced finish and a floral hop aroma.
- Arran ab Blonde - 4.0% ABV
- A lower ABV beer similar to Arran Blonde with a zesty and fresh finish.
- Arran Ale - 3.8% ABV
- A pale amber coloured session ale with well balanced flavours of malt and fruitiness and a dry hop finish.
- Arran Dark - 4.3% ABV
- A traditional "Scottish Heavy" style beer with a full malt flavour and a deep bitter finish.
- Arran Sunset - 4.4% ABV
- A mid-amber coloured summer ale with a good balance of malt, fruit and hops and a pleasant dry finish.
- Arran Milestone - 6.0% ABV
- A dark amber coloured beer with a balanced malt and floral hop character and a lingering fruity finish from Cascade and Styrian Golding hops.
- Arran Red Squirrel - 3.9% ABV
- A well balanced session beer with hints of liquorice and toffee and a nutty aroma. A percentage of the proceeds go to various charities that are dedicated to protecting Red Squirrels on the Isle of Arran and elsewhere.
- Arran Fireside - 4.7% ABV
- A smooth malty beer with a bitter sweet finish and hints of ginger. Winter seasonal offering.
- Arran Clyde Puffer - 4.5% ABV
- A deep black coloured Stout that is sweet and mellow with very subtle hopping.
- Arran Guid Ale - 3.8% ABV
- A pale amber traditional style session beer with a delicate balance of malt and fruitiness and a dry hop finish.
- Arran Brewery Dug - 5.5% ABV
- A dry-hopped American style IPA.