Oban Bay Brewery
60 George Street, Oban, Argyll, PA34 5SD
Phone: (0) 1631 564 492
The Oban Bay Brewery occupies a purpose built area that was formerly a nightclub at the rear of the Cuan Mor restaurant in Oban. The 5 BBL brewing plant was purchased from the Isle of Mull Brewing Company in 2009 having been originally installed there in 2005 by George Thompson of Brewing Solutions UK. Brewing at Oban Bay started in June of 2009. In July 2010, Harry Forbes took over the brewing duties having worked previously at Traditional Scottish Ales in Throsk, Stirling.
Oban Bay provides cask ales for a number of pubs in the Oban area. Having a long standing relationship with Isle of Mull Brewing, the companies merged in late 2010 to form Argyll Breweries Limited. Oban Bay currently produces beers for both brewery labels but still hope to install a small brewing plant in Tobermory to support production of the Isle of Mull beers.
- Skinny Blonde - 4.1% ABV
- A blonde ale brewed to capture drinkers that normally drink lager. It a very pale beer with fruity, citrus notes.
- Fair Puggled - 4.6% ABV
- A Scottish style Stout brewed with three coloured malts as well as Wheat malt for a dark coloured, well rounded, malty beer. Fruity notes contribute to the flavour as well as a spicy bitterness and a hoppy finish.
- Kilt Lifter - 3.9% ABV
- A UK style India Pale Ale with a slight amber hue. It has a hoppy, bitter bite smoothed out by maltiness and caramel notes.
- Skelpt Lug - 4.2% ABV
- An 80/- style ale only more heavily hopped. It is a reddish-brown coloured ale brewed with coloured malts and Wheat malt and having a malty taste. A fruity flavour comes through and it finishes with hoppy grassiness.
- Ginger Jakey - 4.2% ABV
- A rich red-coloured beer with a mildly bitter flavour and spicy aroma.
- Scallywager - 4.0% ABV
- A crisp and refreshing classic continentally hopped lager beer.