Black Isle Brewery Company
Old Allangrange, Munlochy, Ross-shire, IV8 8NZ
Phone: (0) 1463 811 871
The Black Isle sits between the Cromarty Firth, Beauly Firth and Moray Firth just to the west of Inverness at the eastern edge of the Scottish Highlands. It is here that David Gladwin converted a group of farm buildings at Munlochy into the Black Isle Brewery in 1998. David has worked in this area for around twenty years and has a strong dedication to the region. He founded the brewery to offer a locally brewed product to area establishments.
The brewery operated a small 5 barrel brewing plant for the first 11 years but in the winter of 2008 construction began on a completely new 30 barrel plant in new buildings on the farm where the brewery resides. The new plant took 18 months to construct and with it, Black Isle's conditioning capacity increased to 210 barrels. Brewing is now undertaken by the brewing team of Colin Stronge and Andrew Fraser. Additionally, the brewery now uses a new well on the property bored for sourcing its brewing liquor. They also have 120 acres of land they use for growing organic barley.
In addition to their regular line of beers, Black Isle produces a number of specialty cask and bottled products. They are also one of the few breweries in the UK promoting un-fined cask ale and have had good responses from the trials they have undertaken so far.
- Blonde - 4.5% ABV
- A European style pale yellow lager flavoured with Hersbrucker and Hallertau hops and having a light biscuit flavour and the aroma of freshly mown grass.
- Goldeneye - 5.6% ABV
- A golden beer brewed with organic malts and loaded with floral hops.
- Heather Honey - 5.0% ABV
- A very pale, golden beer made with heather from the Highland moorlands and honey for a touch of additional sweetness.
- Hibernator Oatmeal Stout - 7.0% ABV
- Big, bold, black Stout with roasted malts and flavours of fruit, expresso and liquorice.
- Porter - 4.6% ABV
- A dark ruby to black coloured beer brewed with dark roasted malts for a rich, medium dry flavour. Available in bottle conditioned format.
- Red Kite - 4.2% ABV
- Amber coloured ale with light toasted nut flavour and Goldings hop citrus aroma.
- Scotch Ale - 6.2% ABV
- Full bodied ruby coloured Scotch ale with a bittersweet finish similar to fruit peel and fruitcake.
- Yellowhammer - 4.0% ABV
- A golden bitter flavoured with Cascade hops and the aroma of grapefruit.