Cromarty Brewing Company
Glencora, Davidston, Cromarty, IV11 8XD
Phone: (0) 1381 600 440
The Cromarty Brewing Company started construction in the spring of 2011 and released the first commercial casks on December 19, 2011. Craig Middleton is the brewer having studied at Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh where he also took up homebrewing. Craig then worked for various breweries including Odell Brewing in Colorado and Cairngorm Brewery in Aviemore. He was joined by his parents, Chap and Jenni Middleton, who helped not only financially but by also working in the brewery. Chap keeps the brewery running as the brewery engineer and Jenni takes care of accounts and various other details.
Brewing takes place on a brewing plant ordered from Bavarian Brewing Technology in the US. The setup is a 16 hectolitre steam fired brewhouse along with two 16 hectolitre unitanks for fermentation and three 16 hectolitre conditioning vessels.
- Happy Chappy - 4.1% ABV
- A Pale Ale style session beer brewed with Maris Otter, Crystal, and Wheat malts as well as Oats and hopped with the US varieties Columbus, Cascade and Willamette along with New Zealand Nelson Sauvin.
- Island Shuffle - 4.1% ABV
- Basically this is the Happy Chappy recipe but fermented with a German yeast strain and dry-hopped with US Columbus.
- Brewed Awakening - 4.7% ABV
- Brewed using locally grown Arabica coffee beans along with Maris Otter, Crystal, Chocolate, Carafa and Wheat malts as well as Oats and hopped with US Cascade and Columbus.
- Red Rocker - 5.0% ABV
- A red coloured Rye based beer heavily hopped both in the copper as well as dry-hopped using Columbus, Summit, Cascade, and Nelson Sauvin. The name comes from the large amounts of red rock undernear the soil on the Black Isle.