Highland Brewing Company
Swannay Brewery by Evie, Orkney, KW17 2NP
Phone: (0) 1856 721 700
The Highland Brewing Company was founded by vastly experienced brewer, Rob Hill, formerly of Orkney Brewery. Brewing commenced in January of 2006 at an old farm stead in Swannay on Orkney. Rob is currently at work installing a new larger brewery plant at the old cremery.
Rob continually wins awards for his "world class" ales. Scapa Special won Silver in the 2008 Great British Beer Festival Best Bitter category as well as being CAMRA's Champion Beer of Scotland two years running. Orkney Blast won Bronze at the GBBF for Strong Bitters and Gold in the SIBA Strong Ale category. Additionally, Dark Munro won CAMRA's Champion Beer Of Scotland in 2007 and Gold for the SIBA Mild category.
- Scapa Special - % ABV
- A golden pale ale made with Maris Otter malted barely and four different hops from America, Germany, New Zealand and Slovakia. Mildly malty with fruity notes.
- St Magnus Ale - % ABV
- Brewed with Maris Otter and a touch of Chocolate malt with two English hops varieties yielding a nutty, roasty flavour with subtle hop finish.
- Orkney Best - % ABV
- A strong pale bitter brewed with Maris Otter and English hops producing a spicy and fruity finish. One to be respected and savoured.
- Dark Munro - % ABV
- I had the pleasure of trying this ale in Edinburgh while on a pub crawl with the Scottish Craft Brewers. A lovely pitch black malty ale with medium body. The rich taste of roasted dark malts clearly comes through perfectly balanced by subtle hop bitterness.
- Orkney Blast - % ABV
- A pale golden stronger ale with a honey and fruity flavoured malt backbone and spicy hop finish from English hops.
- Orkney IPA - % ABV
- A sessionable IPA style beer with a malty base and fruity hop flavour. Brewed with Styrian Goldings and Goldings hops.
- Orkney Porter - % ABV
- A dark mahogany coloured Porter style beer with a slighly tart taste and the flavours of coffee and chocolate and a hint of smoke.