Sinclair Breweries, Ltd, Cawdor, Nairnshire, IV12 5XP
Phone: (0) 1667 404 555
Roger White and his wife Irene opened the Orkney Brewery in 1988 as a retirement project and to restore brewing tradition in the Orkney Isles. The brewery is housed in a former schoolhouse in Quoyloo on Orkney's mainland. Orkney's original Head Brewer was Rob Hill, now of Highland Brewery.
The original brew plant was set up by Ringwood Brewery's Peter Austin and comprised of a hacked together ten barrel brewing plant. A completely new brewhouse was built adjacent to the original one in the mid 1990s expanding capacity to 150 barrels per week. The money the brewery saved during progressive beer duty was re-invested in further expansion including a new cask-racking facility and a much needed visitor centre.
Orkney Brewery was taken over by Norman Sinclair's Sinclair Breweries in 2006 along with the former Atlas Brewery at Kinlochleven. Some of the Atlas beers are now brewed at Orkney under the Atlas range name.
- Dark Island - % ABV
- A classic Scottish dark ale with chocolate and roasted malt flavours. Brewed with Pale Ale, Crystal, Chocolate and Wheat malts and hopped with First Gold and Goldings hops.
- Red Macgregor - % ABV
- A ruby red malty ale with roasted malt notes. Brewed with the addition of Crystal and Chocolate malts and Cascade hops.
- Raven Ale - % ABV
- A refreshing, easy-drinking bitter ale. Brewed with Pale Ale malt and small additions of Crystal and Amber malts with Fuggles and Goldings hops.
- Northern Light - % ABV
- A pale, straw coloured ale with fruity notes. Brewed with Pale Ale malt and Hersbrucker, Saaz and Liberty hops for a crisp bitter finish.
- Dragonhead - % ABV
- A fine dark stout style beer with dark roasted malt and chocolate flavours. Brewed with Pale Ale, Chocolate and Wheat malts along with Roasted Barley and hopped with Goldings.
- Skull Splitter - % ABV
- A dark, strong ale with a rich, fruity, wine-like finish. Brewed with Pale Ale, Crystal and Chocolate malts and East Kent Golding hops. To be treated with respect.
- Corncrake - % ABV
- Clootie Dumpling - % ABV
- Dark Island Reserve - % ABV
- A specialty ale produced using Dark Island Ale aged in Orkney whisky casks for three months. Each bottle is hand bottled and labeled with the Gyle number.