Swannay Brewery by Evie, Orkney, KW17 2NP
Phone: (0) 1856 721 700
Swannay Brewery was founded (originally as The Highland Brewing Company) by vastly experienced brewer, Rob Hill, formerly of Orkney Brewery. Brewing commenced in January of 2006 at an old farm stead in Swannay on Orkney. Rob is currently at work installing a new larger brewery plant at the old cremery.
Rob continually wins awards for his "world class" ales. Scapa Special won Silver in the 2008 Great British Beer Festival Best Bitter category as well as being CAMRA's Champion Beer of Scotland two years running. Orkney Blast won Bronze at the GBBF for Strong Bitters and Gold in the SIBA Strong Ale category. Additionally, Dark Munro won CAMRA's Champion Beer Of Scotland in 2007 and Gold for the SIBA Mild category.
- Orkney Best - 3.6% ABV
- A strong pale bitter brewed with Maris Otter and English hops producing a spicy and fruity finish. One to be respected and savoured.
- Island Hopping - 3.9% ABV
- An extra pale coloured beer with a full, very fruity hop aroma and flavour from American and New Zealand hops. The character of Nelson Sauvin dominates.
- Dark Munro - 4.0% ABV
- I had the pleasure of trying this ale in Edinburgh while on a pub crawl with the Scottish Craft Brewers. A lovely pitch black malty ale with medium body. The rich taste of roasted dark malts clearly comes through perfectly balanced by subtle hop bitterness.
- Scapa Special - 4.2% ABV
- Swannay's flagship beer, a well balanced Pale Ale with crisp American hops.
- Sneaky Wee Orkney Stout - 4.2% ABV
- A dry-hopped Stout with flavours of light chocolate and coffee and a somewhat fruity (berry-like) character.
- Pale Ale - 4.7% ABV
- Described as an Orcadian-US Pale Ale, A light sweetness from Crystal Malt and hopped with American hops.
- Orkney IPA - 4.8% ABV
- A heavily hopped UK-style India Pale Ale.
- Duke IPA - 5.2% ABV
- Described as an Orcadian-US India Pale Ale dominated by the character of Citra and another "C" hop.
- Orkney Blast - 6.0% ABV
- A pale golden stronger ale with a honey and fruity flavoured malt backbone and spicy hop finish from English hops.