Scottish Borders Breweries
The Scottish Borders have little documented evidence of former breweries. Perhaps the oldest brewery in the area was at Traquair House, known to be brewing in 1556 when Mary, Queen of Scots visited the estate. Another brewery was at Melrose, the Abbey Brewery (at least one historian names it as St Ann's Brewery), founded by James Simson in 1839. Simson then went into partnership with John McPherson in 1896 and the brewery was then sold and subsequently closed in 1906 by Robert Deuchar Ltd. There was also at least one brewery in Ednam ran by William Murray & Co in 1880.
The region was void of breweries after the early twentieth century brewing even having ceased at Traquair House. Brewing resumed here in 1965 and has continued to this day. Later, in 1979, David Younger (from the famous family of brewers from Edinburgh) and James Collins opened was has become the longest surviving microbrewery in Scotland at biggar, Broughton Ales. In 2010, Gavin Meiklejohn, having returned to Scotland from Canada and then New Zealand, opened Tempest Brewing at Kelso brewing with an appreciation for North American style craft beers. In 2011, John Henderson opened Scottish Borders Brewery on the 1800 acre Chester Estate that he inherited from his grandfather in 2003.